Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Disability / SS Benefits ??

My question ... to anyone who may read this bog .... does a child with a dx of Type 1 qualify for Social Security / Disability Benefits ?? I READ the publication from SS.gov and it clearly defines Diabetes as a recognized disability HOWEVER Ashlee's application was denied and SS Admin recommended the kids' use a Disability Attorney (even gave them a list of names in their area) to do an appeal.

The reason for the application is not for the added income (that would be nice however), it is for the MEDICARE BENEFITS after the two year waiting period. Their current plan SHOULDN'T be able to cancel or increase premiums .. but YOU KNOW FOR A FACT they WILL !! Additionally, as Ashlee becomes an adult and isn't qualified under Mom and Dad's ... she will basically be uninsurable ... so I want the kids to work on this NOW ... before it even becomes an issue!





It makes me anger the the "Octo-Mom" here in Cali has two or three children on Disability Income (with Medicare/Medical benefits) with a diagnosis of ADD !!!!!(These facts are Public Record!) Hyperactivity is a poor excuse for Disability if you ask me! I've seen 4 out of 5 children corrected of ADD symptoms with diet modification and discipline training! But the "Octo-Mom" is another post! Its really none of my business ... it just makes me upset that my tax dollars are paying for her plastic surgeries, medical benefits and fertility doctors !! No wonder California is in such a $$$ mess!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. I found you through Heidi's blog (I think through the followers section) Anyway my 7 year old son, Joe, was diagnosed with type 1 4 years ago when he was 3. He is on an Animas Insulin Pump and we use a CGM (Dexcom 7+). I am unsure of the benefits. I know here in Vermont we have a program called Katie Beckett and it covers all of the medical expenses for the little guys with type 1...pump supplies, insulin, test strips - everything. We don't use the program. Thankfully we have great insurance...but it is available. Does CA have something like that?

Interesting about your mom and then your grandchild having type 1...how old was your grandbaby when she was diagnosed?

I like that you "blog" btw...you are "hip"!

Pam said...

HIP? I don't know but you sure made me smile!

My granddaughter lives in Arkansas and the insurance they have limits the amount of testing supplies allowed each month ... ??? which I find very strange. Additionally, they don't provide certain types of insulin! I believe they only supply Levimir and Novolog, that's it! Here in Cali, most plans, even MediCal (which is a State plan) allows for unlimited testing supplies. As you already know, you test ALOT during the first few months after diagnoses. That fear just runs your life for month after month!

How long have you been on the Dexcom? I am VERY impressed with that company! They are close to us, in San Diego, and they seem to have wonderful patient support(s). That's next on my list for Ashlee! I guess I need to go to Arkansas and see the Endo myself! I already blog'ed that Amy (our daughter) is VERY lacks about keeping track of ANYTHING! ... BG, injections, food intake, etc ... which makes ME crazy and is another reason the doc isn't ready to prescribe the pump!

Thanks so much for your comments! It tickled this old gal!

Pam