Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ashlee and the "D" word


As most of you already know... our little granddaughter, Ashlee, was diagnosed a few months ago with Type 1 diabetes. Cool! The Myrnx, my Mom, has been an adult onset Type 1 for about 20 years now so I thought I was REAL SMART about all things Type 1.
WRONG WRONG WRONG , I am just a BIG DUMMY !! After doing research and reading some D-Mom Blogs out there, I really started to get frightened by everything! My mom, little Ashlee ...everybody! How could I have had my head buried in the sand for so many years??

Bottom line ... I'm doing the "CliffsNotes" study-up ON CURRENT diabetes issues (yes, things change alot in 20 years)and will be up to speed in no time at all. I feel guilty about it taking Ashlee's dx to make me aware that I know so little! My mom could have used my help thru the past 20 years! No looking back ... just forward! I'm determined to get these two specials "girls" healthy!

PRAY FOR ME!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I hope reading my blog hasn't scared you! I think it's healthy to have some fear of this disease, after all there are so many health risks with not being vigilant, but don't let it overwhelm you.

Diabetes, while a pain in the ass (literally at times!), is manageable as long as you're willing to do some hard work. I try to be as real as possible on my blog and not sugar coat what this disease is about.

Pam said...

I am so thankful for all the "D-Moms" who BLOG ... what a help it has been!! I'm trying to get our daughter to join some sort of support group ... online or at home! What a blessing all your blogs have been! AND inspiring!

BIG HUG to you Joanne!

Pam

Joanne said...

Thanks for the kind words... I hope your daughter does seek out support, whether it be online or "real-life". It has been the best thing, and I could not imagine trying to do this without my D-Moms!

If your daughter ever has any questions, please let her know that she can contact me through my blog.