Friday, November 12, 2010

Pumping YES NO MAYBE


Well ... the verdict is in, no pumping for my 75 year old mom ... boo hoo. I can't even say how much this bothers me .... but , nothing I can do, it was just to overwhelming for her.

POLO, AMY and the girls are on-their-way to S. Carolina !!! WHAT??? 18 hour drive. Thank goodness for all those car DVD thing-y's! The boys are on their own ... (sounds so strange to me) Oldest Christian, is at B-Ball Camp and Baby-Cameron is spending the weekend with his play buddie, what fun!

Christian and Cameron via Computer CAM ...How horrid!

That being said , let's get back to COMPLAINING ... about the Wonder-Pump! I read and follow many Diabetic Blogs or rather, families LIVING with Diabetes Blogs. 100% of the Blogs I've read ... those families and persons are all PUMPING ... and it makes me, ONCE AGAIN, question the Endo in charge of Ashlee's care! I'm sorry, maybe it's something unknown to me, maybe they wait a year to Rx a Pump? Amy HAS asked and, if I remember correctly, her Endo didn't think Ashlee qualified for pump. Am I missing something? THIS IS the FIRST CASE of Juvenile Diabetes in our family. I wasn't aware that there were different levels of T1 ... I'm so confused. I only want what is best (and SAFEST) for this Baby Girl, Lord only knows shots are no problem for me ..(or Amy) but, if the technology is out there, so we don't have to give shots ...........OH BUMMER , I can't put this into words anymore

I'm so tired of being the ONLY ONE in this family who cares about the life long effects of DIABETES ... we've all got to do more, raise money, get involved with local "D" programs and fund raisers ... I haven't been able to convince ANYONE (in our family) to JOIN IN ...it will be FUN ...and help lead to a CURE ... Larry, please gossip about this blog, OKAY?!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is her Endo familiar with pumps? And, if so, then he/she should state why he/she does not think your grand daughter qualifies. In order to get a pump you do need to show you will do a minimum amount of blood sugars a day. You need to be able to carb count. There are "pump readiness classes" etc to help with all of this.

I am so sorry. This must be frustrating for you. Many bloggers do choose MDIs for "d" management - Heidi at D-Tales, and Joanne at Death of A Pancreas to name a few... I also think Nicole at We Caralot Blog does too.

Let me know if you need links to any of those blogs Pam. I'd be happy to help you out in any way. Love you!

Pam said...

The baby D-Girl will be with us for two weeks starting 11-25-10. I'm not familiar with the pen she uses but I'm sure its ez to learn. I am TRYING to get an appointment at Loma Linda Diabetic Teaching Hospital. They have a great T1 program ... and Children's Hospital. I need face-to-face contact... I would ideally like her to she my mom's Endo ...he's fabulous!

Reyna ...you are a treasure ...You have been such a blessing to me (Joanne (red head) also!) what can I DO FOR YOU?? There must be something ?? !!

Pam

Heidi / D-Tales said...

After living with D for three years now, we're still on shots...mainly because of insurance reasons. We will have to pay out of pocket for the pump, and before we buy one, we want to be 100% sure our son is ready for it.

I hear your frustrations. If I can answer any questions about shots vs. pumping or shots in general, let me know. I'm happy to help.