Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Road Trip with Your T1

I have to give credit where credit is due! Our Amy is a rock ...strong and solid, nothing bothers her (at least, that she lets show) . 18 Hour Road Trip to S.C. (one-way!) with hubby (co-pilot), one tween, Alexa and one 7 year old T1, our Ashlee!!

Our little T1 ran the gambit of numbers from extreme highs to way-to-lows ... throwing large amounts of ketones, a throw up here and there ... Amy is a rock! I would have been hopelessly banging my head against the wall ... but she is calm and sure and seems to ride it all out!

In looking back at Ashlee's W/E numbers, we were trying to figure out just what happened. (Two heads are always better than one!) I think it REALLY boils down snack eating (when no adult is around) which lead to the highs and that ketone business (no insulin to make "Gas", so her body started burning that good'ol protein for fuel!)

Kids are kids and you need to let them BE KIDS ... that means running in and out and grabbing something quick to munch. Ashlee needs to know its OKAY to eat "wrong" foods sometimes ... just to TELL someone so insulin can be given cover! NO one will be mad .. it was supposed to be a Get-a-Way Weekend with just a touch of business thrown in! And that's what it was ... FUN for ALL ... The boys went to the Duke/Princeton Basket Ball game while the ladies had a lovely dinner out .. no kiddies! Good for them! Ashlee's #'s would have had me in a tailspin. Guess that's why I'm NOT the D-Mom!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for a fun w/e...unfortunately "d" doesn't always cooperate, but your daughter sounds like a ROCK STAR! I do agree, these children need to be kids and it is OK for them to have some junk food once in awhile...just like for the whole population...sweets and treats in moderation.

(((HUGS)))

Pam said...

Reyna ..YOU are my ROCK STAR .. Or "Blue Hatted Hero" ...Love that Blue Knit Cap!